Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spiritual High

Something really fantastic happened to me over the last week, and no, it was NOT the Marie Calendar's Thanksgiving dinner I had. (blech)
No, what happened was I regained contact with one of my old converts from Germany. She found me through Facebook, which I just recently joined, and she just happened to be searching through some of the groups I am a member of, and saw my picture staring out at her. She dropped me a line, and we have been writing ever since.

So the story behind this particular girl is this: she was the perfect investigator. She was curious, active, thoughtful, sincere, intelligent, and fun to teach. In Germany, or all European countries for that matter, such a person is about as rare as a 4 dollar bill. She was one of a kind, and teaching her was easily one of the high points of my mission.

Well, it turns out that in the 8 years since her baptism she has served a mission in Russia, and her mother has also joined the church. Who knows how many lives she has touched or how many people she has helped come closer to God. I feel so humbled and blessed that I was able to be even a small part of that story.

I always hoped that someday I would hear that my work on my mission was bearing great fruits, or that the child of someone I converted went on a mission or something. I never dreamed that I would be hearing those stories so soon.

For me it is just one more testimony of missionary work. My mission never ceases to be a source of joy and pride for me. When I think of all the wonderful things that have happened to me as a direct result of serving for those two years (including my wonderful wife Dana), it is clear that I have been blessed by my service as much or more than the people I actually served. I think that is the way God intended it to be.

No comments: