Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Online Debates are Fun

Recently I have been using my lunch breaks to engage in a lively theological debate on an online forum. It has been a lot of fun to see people passionately defending their beliefs in a non-violent way.

What I have discovered is this: I am really very proud to be Mormon. Tremendously proud, actually. As I have listened to people explain their beliefs about God, all I can think to myself is "Man, I am glad that I don't have to believe that about God."

For instance, there are people who believe that God 'picks' his chosen people, and that those people are pretty much destined to be saved, no matter what they do. These people tend to be good people because they are destined to be good people, and not because they choose to. Well, I have a lot of problems with this line of thinking, but if you want to read my entries, which get rather long, you can find the discussion under this link (but it might be a private discussion, in which case you will have to join Facebook.

I am so happy to be a member of a faith that helps me to see God as fair, loving and considerate. As a father who is concerned not only with our happiness, but with our growth and our potential as well. A father who wants his kids to grow up to be the very best and most they can be, instead of wanting us to grow up to become just a horde of adoring angels.

I love the church. I know that it is true. I am thankful to my Father in Heaven for personally answering my questions about the church, for helping me with my confusions, and for guiding us all through our trials. I am grateful for modern prophets who do not attempt to predict the future, but rather do the much more difficult task of guiding the present.

God is great. Mormonism rocks.

1 comment:

Will Smith said...

Like the post. I have been feeling that way lately with some other groups that I am involved in.