Monday, October 1, 2007

Siiiick

I am sick. It is a funny kind of sick, too. I can tell you precisely when I got sick, and what I was doing. A flash-bulb kind of sick.

I was playing World of Warcraft around 10:30 at night. One swallow: fine. Next swallow: scratchy. Third swallow: belt-sander-in-my-neck. My reaction: What is going on here? My neck stiffened up, my knees and thighs started aching, and I got an instantaneous headache. I stood up, shuffled in to where my wife was watching TV, and said to her, in a little pathetic voice: 'I just got sick. I am going to bed.'

Well, that was the beginning of what is now a 5 day bout of some kind of flu/cold/infection/nastiness. The symptoms keep changing. Sore throat went away to make room for annoying cough. Cough vacated for post-nasal drip. Drip faded away and was upstaged by phlegmy cough, which has stayed on, but is now accompanied by runny nose and shakiness.

Pretty much everyone in the office is sick, and I have not been able to force myself into seclusion, so I have likely made everyone around me sick (sorry in advance, Will, but maybe this way you can finally take some time off. . .)

As diseases go, it is not bad. No boils or lesions, no weeping sores or anything like that. It is highly unlikely that I will even die or be otherwise inconvenienced by it. It is annoying, however, and it will not go away.

Being sick so that you can miss school on test day: cool. Being sick so you cannot really enjoy a wonderful autumn afternoon: not so much.

No comments: