Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Eleven years ago at about this time of year I was in the MTC. Yeah, I wouldn't exactly recommend going into the MTC for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Kwaanza and Hanukkah, but being there for that time of year definitely had its up sides. We had mad firesides with all sorts of General Authorities. It was actually pretty cool.

At one of those firesides I heard a song that has stuck with me ever since, even though I have not heard it again. The tune was unforgetable, as were some of the passages of text. The problem was, I could never remember enough of the text to try looking the song up.

And then it hit me today while walking down the hall at work. I was humming the tune, and inserting the words as I knew them, when the tumblers of memory clicked in and I could remember a whole phrase: ". . . some children see him almond eyed."

I ran to my computer, and with the help of my faithful friend Google, found the text to this wonderful and stirring, but neglected Christmas song. I am overjoyed to have found it again, and wanted to share it with anyone who cares to read this blog.

Some Children See Him
Some children see Him lily white,
the baby Jesus born this night.
Some children see Him lily white,
with tresses soft and fair.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down.
Some children see Him bronzed and brown,
with dark and heavy hair.

Some children see Him almond-eyed,
this Savior whom we kneel beside.
Some children see Him almond-eyed,
with skin of yellow hue.
Some children see Him dark as they,
sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray.
Some children see him dark as they,
and, ah! they love Him, too!

The children in each different place
will see the baby Jesus' face
like theirs, but bright with heavenly grace,
and filled with holy light.
O lay aside each earthly thing
and with thy heart as offering,
come worship now the infant King.
'Tis love that's born tonight!

After I found it I did some snooping around, and discovered that there are a lot of different versions of this song. I recommend going to Itunes and finding a copy to listen to yourself. It is, after all, one of the most Christian Christmas songs I have ever heard. I hope it sticks in your mind and heart, too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice dude, good job, I love your blog. I am leaving a comment so you can see it. Tell all your sports fans about my new only sports blog biasedsportsreport.blogspot.com!! Also, Terrisa has a new one as well at moviemamma2.blogspot.com

Monica Lynn said...

James Taylor does a beautiful version. You should just asked me 'cause I've know it for a while! Ha.