Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Something Clever

I swear, I have ideas for writing on my blog ALL THE TIME, but then when I have time to write, I can't think of anything. It is like situational writer's block.

I figured it has been a while since I posted last, so I should show at least some sign of life, lest the blogosphere Search and Rescue be sent out after me.

OK, so here is what I am gonna write about - or rant about. My family.

As a general rule, my family is fantastic. I love all of my siblings, ex, half, step, inlaw and otherwise. Well, maybe not so much loving the ex-step-siblings, but I digress. Sometimes my older brother and I don't see eye to eye, but other than that, it is pretty much smooth familial sailing.

It was great to celebrate Thanksgiving with all of them (minus my big brother, who was in Chicago). We got to see our brand new nephew Koven (or Garbonzo, as he will be known to the world) and we got to spend some quality time with the folks. We would have liked more time with Jon and Chandelle and the nieces, but at least we got to see them all and celebrate the holiday together.

Somewhere in all that turkey laden bliss something completely messed up happened, and I am having a hard time fitting it into my head. While we were all celebrating our togetherness, someone snuck into the guest room and stole $80 from us! I mean, who does that? And on Thanksgiving of all days!

Of course, it pissed us off and hurt us. Its not like we have money to burn, and we spent over $200 on that Thanksgiving already. But what really cheeses me is the fact that, in my life, my family has stolen more from me than strangers have.

Let me be clear here: I don't know who took the $80. I can't even imagine who might have done it. All I know is that it was taken at a time when only family could have taken it, so deductive reasoning leaves no alternatives.

But if you go back 10 years or so, the person stealing from me was my step brother, Dusty. I mean, sure the guy is obviously mentally unstable and possibly disabled. But he stole a whole bunch of stuff from me, which he then pawned. I can only assume that he bought Meth with the money. He was not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. Yeah, it made me mad, and I no longer trusted him with 2 cents, but it was expected from him. At least I got my climbing gear back. The worst part is, that hoser has never even been man enough to apologize.

OK, so what is the point of all of this? I guess the point is that I expect better from my family. Maybe I am naive to do so, but there it is. I was not surprised when Dusty stole my stuff. He was an idiot and had impulse control issues. But nobody in my family now is an idiot. I just can't make sense of it. What could drive a decent, normal person to hurt someone they love like that? What kind of greed and selfishness could motivate someone to hurt someone else in such a callous way? It makes no sense to me. Not in my family.

And yet: yes, in my family.

2 comments:

IdahoHills said...

You just didn’t get the memo that it was Thanks “giving” or in some people’s case “taking.” C’mon I got some great gear from that pawn shop on Redwood road. Our last repelling trip went something like this… “Hey Dan will you tie up to that nice sturdy pine tree? Here is a D rind for ya.” “… Sure Court… right here? …Hey why did you put my initials on this D ring? Hey come to think of it, your bag says KOTW. You know that’s my acronym for King OF the WORLD…” “Hey Dan these squirrels up here… are seriously loud…. And the wind… too…. I’ll see you at the bottom bizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.”
Yeah tell me about it my Dad still asks me where all of his wrenches went right around that time. I C.A.N.N.O.T. believe that man. What the devil is going on in the world where you have families using 20 dollar bills for napkins? Don’t they read the headlines? For that you could have bought a nice room and had some privacy along with 20 extra bucks (depending of course where you shopped on-line for a hotel room, I love Expedia… dot com!! I digress. A lot.) So next time you come up here I promise to not go through your wallet, Jess and I have already talked all about it and it’s a major possibility you will leave accompanied with all the money you came up here with next visit.

Will Smith said...

Dan, I already emailed you my thoughts on the theft. But thought that I could shift gears and leave another thought here.

I have the same problem you do where you have all sorts of great ideas but they never make it to the blog. I started taking a day and writing 6 or 7 blog-posts. I then schedule them out so that they appear a day or two after the previous one. That way I look on top of it and I can get my thoughts out.

Have a good one.