Thursday, June 25, 2009

Iran

OK, so if you watch the news today, you see two things: crying, pathetic, two-faced, lying POS governors who will trade their families, wives and careers for a skanky latina homewrecker. (see my last post)
OR
You see coverage, or better the lack of coverage of what is going on in Iran. Since I have already ranted about the governor, I want to say a word or two about Iran.
For the first time in my life, I find myself rooting for Iran. Not for the leadership of Iran – I think they are self-righteous, hypocritical, hegemonic scumbags who have no respect for their people, and who know they only way they can retain power is to repress the voices of their citizens. No, I am not a fan of President I’madinnerjacket or of Supreme-Dictator-For-Ever-Because-I-Am-More-Righteous-Than-You Al’choholy. I hope those guys both die the death of a thousand cuts.
No, I am finding myself rooting for the common Iranians. I am so proud of them for marching and protesting, even though they face imprisonment, violence or even death for doing just that. When I hear about these protests, instead of imagining Iran as being a haven for radicals and extremist baby-killing-suicide-bombers, I imagine Iran more like a college campus in the 1960s. Or, maybe more accurately, like Boston of the 1770s. I see a people who have rallied together, not to oppress, but to stand up for the principle that their voices deserve to be heard.
In America, it was ‘No Taxation without Representation’ and in Iran it seems to be ‘Transparent Government and True Democracy.’ The people are standing up to an oppressive ruler, just like a bunch of uneducated, back-water colonists did in 1776. They have the Ayatollah, we had King George.
Another parallel I see is this: the results of Iran’s recent presidential election may, in fact be completely legal and legit. But the way the Iranian government is treating their people is certainly anything but. When the Stamp Tax (the thing that prompted the Boston Tea Party, for you non-history geeks) was enacted, it was completely legal. But we rebelled against the principle according to which that tax was passed: our voices were not being heard, and our people were being repressed. Well, that is exactly what is happening in Iran, and their people have certainly been oppressed on a greater level than stamp and paper taxation.
So I find myself rooting for Iran. I can only hope that modern politics and the ticklish nature of Iran’s relationship with the rest of the world doesn’t kill this movement before it really gets a chance to mature. I believe that, if Iran’s people carry the day over the current government, a new Iran could emerge as a force for democracy and justice in what was once the most troubled and turbulent area of the middle east. I kinda like the thought of Iran becoming the leading force for democratic reform in the middle east. I also like the idea of an Iran who is a close ally of America, instead of a scary enemy who may or may not blow us into nuclear winter.
Of course, time will tell. It wasn’t until after WWI that the majority of the world even took the United States of America seriously. Europe looked at our form of democracy as a quaint oddity. But we persevered and grew to be the most powerful, influential power in the world. Iran certainly has the same chances, if the movement that is now brewing is able to survive long enough mature beyond being merely reactionary. Of course, they will need a good deal of luck to have things go their way, but my hopes and prayers go with them.

1 comment:

Anna Crowe said...

Curious to know what you think about what else happened that day and what happened today (7/7) too. :)
www.soaringcrowes.blogspot.com