Monday, September 10, 2007

More to me than Football

Alright, so I was looking back at the last few posts, and realised all I was talking about was University of Utah football. Well, that is not exactly a good representation of myself. True, during football season I am very passionate about my Utes, but there are many things I am passionate about, and if you can't talk about your passions on your blog, where can you talk about them?

One of the things I really enjoy is making things with my hands. I am sort of a jack-of-all-trades, particularly where ancient technologies are concerned. I have made my own arrowheads out of both flint and obsidian (and an old whiskey bottle), I learned how to make cordage and rope from just about every natural fiber source I have been able to find in Utah, and after that I learned how to do ancient Coil-Weaving (like picture #4). Well, having arrowheads and string, I then wanted to make an authentic bow. Well, no dice there. Bows are complicated. None of this simple stick and string nonsense. Making a bow the right way is tough, long, and exacting work, and involves the death of at least one large animal (for the sinew to make a good bowstring) so I had to scrap that one.

Some of the recent stuff I have made with my own two hands has been more practical and modern. I learned how to knit, sew and crochet. I have knit several simple peices, (scarves and blankets for the neices, etc.) and right now I am crocheting a hammock with a U of U theme. The best piece I have ever made, and the one I am most proud of, is a shirt of 4-in-1 chain maille. I made it just to see if I could, and because I was tired of 'girly' things like knitting and crochetting. As it turns out, chainmaille is a lot like knitting, just with galvanized steel instead of yarn. Instead of needles you use plyers. It is knitting on steroids, I guess.

Someday, my hope is to get a nice shop set up where I can make all the stuff I want without having to have it scattered all over the family room. That shop would ideally contain a forge and an anvil, because at heart I think I really am some kind of blacksmith. If I could get that dream realized, I could then merge my passion for creation with another of my passions: swords and knives.

Ok, so there is a little bit more about me. I am not just a U of U fanatic.

No comments: