Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever

And what a beautiful thing it was!

#11 UCLA at Utah. They were supposed to spank us. They were supposed to walk all over us. We had no chance. And then what happens? We DESTROY them 44 to 6. Our defense held UCLA to a mere 2 field goals, and blanked them in the second half. It was a joy, a pleasure, a near spiritual experience to behold. My only regret is that we were not in the stadium personally to watch it.

I like to consider it a personal birthday present from the team to me. Dana did everything she could to make my birthday a great one. Made my favorite breakfast, bought me Brain Age 2, got me a sweet cordless drill, and in general has treated me like a king. To have my Utes win over such a heavily favored team is the icing on the cake. What a great day.

So now I am 29. Weird. On the one hand I see myself doing things that I think are too grown up for me to be doing (marital therapy, for instance), yet on the other hand I feel like I have accomplished a lot in 29 years. I look back at the past and there are so many other things I might have done, so many other paths I could have taken. Who knows what else might have become of me if I had different friends, made different decisions, thought different things.

However I ended up where I am, I am glad of it. My life is pretty sweet. I have a wonderful and loving wife, a great job doing what I love, I am healthy, have good friends, a great family, and I am blessed to have such a close relationship with God. I truly feel incredibly blessed, and am so grateful for all of the positive influences in my life.

So on this happy day, I want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the happiness that is my life. Even to you, big jerk 9th grader who beat me up in 7th grade: thanks for showing me how stupid violence makes people look, and for showing me how not to be.

No comments: